- I really do have a hard time with my vocabulary, mainly because I'm so used to using words I learned so long ago. It's a challenge for me to take in new vocabulary and use it everyday. I would learn a new word one day, and forget it the next day. My strong points are I can use pretty big vocabulary in my writing, but only when I feel like using them. It's hard for me to understand novels everytime I come across a word I've never heard be before, or even a word I can hardly read.
- In my middle school years, we used a lot of vocabulary workbooks to help stretch out our vocabulary. We also read many novels and each time there was a word we didn't usually hear, the teacher would stop us and drill us on that word. Although I've gone through so many vocabulary workbooks, I don't remember three-quarters of the words I learned.
- To be honest, I don't get used to a new word unless it sounds interesting to me. I'm only able to catch on to a word if its something I can make fun of. For example, last year we were going through our vocabulary workbooks when we came across the word flabbergasted, and I've been using that word quite a lot since I've learned it.
- My goals for my word choice are to learn many new words and be able to use them daily. I want to be able to improve my vocabulary, especially because it'll help me in the future when I need to find a job. My evidence of "owning" those new words is when I use them in my essays.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Journal #25 - MY VOCABULARY HISTORY
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Janelle,
ReplyDeleteGood point about the difference between studying a word in a workbook or a test and then actually "owning" the word.
And I understand when you say you tend to learn new words that you're interested in. The trick is to keep your ears (and eyes) open to the words around you, so that you can find more of them that are interesting.
Good luck on attaining your goals this semester!
mrs s