Tuesday, September 1, 2009

KARE-KARE INTERVIEW

Q&A's

Q: IS THIS YOUR FAVORITE DISH TO COOK? IF YES, WHY?

A: Yes it is because it is an exotic recipe & not many people like to eat ox tail or tripe together. It is a very healthy dish & it contains two different types of meat & a variety of vegetables.

Q: DID YOU ENJOY KARE KARE AS A CHILD?

A: Yes, i did. Kare Kare is a special food, it isn't an everyday type of food. It is only made for special occasions, such as birthdays or fiestas. My mother would cook kare kare & it was always served on my birthdays.

Q: IS THIS RECIPE ANY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOUR GRANDMOTHER MADE?

A: Yes, because in the olden days, my grandmother would have to roast the rice in a pan for hours until it turned brown then pulverized it. This was used to thicken the kare kare gravy. Today, you can buy instant kare kare mix in super markets.

Q: WHAT IS IT ABOUT KARE KARE THAT MAKES IT YOUR SPECIALTY?

A: It has been passed down to me from my mother, which was passed down to my mother by my granmother. Also, everytime I serve it in family parties/gatherings, I always recieve compliments like, "Ang sarap yong kare kare mo!" In english, this means "Your kare kare tastes so good!" 

Q: WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS TO YOUR KARE KARE?

A: -Oxtail
     -Tripe
     -Peanut butter
     -Rice powder
     -Kare kare mix
     -Achuete (anato)
     -String beans
     -Eggplant
     -Bakchoy
     -Bagoong
     -Onions
     -Salt/Black pepper
     -Water

Q: DO YOU HAVE A SECRET INGREDIENT? IF SO, WHAT IS IT?

A: Yes, I have a secret ingredient. I use bagoong (fermented shrimp). This enhances the plavor of the gravy. I also add in some achuete (type of food coloring from anato seeds) to give it a little color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment