Ever since I could chew, I've always loved to feast on my mother's oh-so famous, Kare Kare. It was just a dish that i grew up loving to eat, mostly with family. The dish is quite unusual & you think, well, out of all the foods you've eaten, why is this your favorite? First off, you don't have a kind of recipe like this that combines all these ingredients into one dish. It's not like any other recipe, & I like trying different & far-out things. Second, if you gave this dish a try, boy are you in for what I call a TASTE FRENZY. There are so many flavors that just pop in your mouth & stir up your taste buds, making you crave more & more each time. The tripe & oxtail feel like marshmallows on your mouth & pretty much melt on your tongue, no need to chew. The green beans & eggplant are so full of flavor because they've been sitting in delicious peanut butter flavored gravy. I know it sounds a bit unsatisfying & unappetizing, but trust me you'll love it just as much as I do within your first munch. And did I mention that it's also healthy for you too? That's right, because you get your serving of veggies, protein from the meat, & vitamins from the gravy. So when you eat this dish, there's no need to feel guilty.
My mom always used to tell me stories about her childhood in the Philippines & how different it was then than it is now. Boy, was she right, especially in the making of kare kare. She said that her grandmother used home made utensils & cooking tools to prepare this dish. Instead of the instant kare kare mix we have now, they would brown & pulverize rice on a pan for hours. The preparation for this recipe back then was time consuming & required hard work & toil. When my mom cooks it, she doesn't break a sweat! I don't know how people survived back then without our technology.
Man, do I have quite a few memories & moments with this particular dish! I clearly remember when it was my 5th birthday, I was standing in line impatiently waiting for my turn to scoop up kare kare onto my plate. My cousin took one look at it & said, "EWWW, that looks so GUH-ROSS!" I told her to give it one try, just a teeny-bit, & that she'd like it. She was skeptical about it at first, but trusted my taste buds & took one bite. With that first taste, I could already tell she was surprised & fell in love with it. She went running back for more servings & just chowed down on it like there was no tomorrow. I said to myself, "Well, looks like your work is done. Mission Accomplished!"
This particular dish makes me so PROUD to represent my culture. I am proud to say that I am a true filipino & part of the brown nation (; Kare Kare, Pancit, Adobo, Puto, & Ube Ice cream are all parts of the filipino tradition. Food is pretty much a way of passage in our culture. By exchanging recipes & sharing all-time favorite dishes brings family closer, whether they know it or not.
In the Philippines, family is really all you have. They say if you turn your back on family, even if you're a millionaire or you're as famous as can be, you truly have nothing. Kare kare is not just a food that's good for your stomach, but it's also good for the soul & the heart. It strengthens the bond & relationship you have with your family members by creating lifelong memories that you'll take with you even after you die.
Kare kare, like many family dishes, is a family legacy that you pass down from generation to generation. My great-grandmother passed down the recipe to my grandmother, then my grandmother passed it down to my mother, & I intend on passing down this recipe to my children.
JANELLE,
ReplyDeleteYour essay is filled with lots of detail. It's like I could smell the peanut butter from the Kare-Kare. But sometimes it seems like you talk too much of your memories and not much of the dish. Other than that, I think your essay is very good.
JANELLE! Your essay has so much details about the ingredients, preparation and the events with your mom's Kare-Kare on special occasions. You have so many experiences with her Kare-Kare! Maybe you could tone youre experiences with it a little bit and keep the events that you think will help people understand it more.
ReplyDeleteIt's details are still good though(:
Hi Janelle,
ReplyDeleteNice job of combining the food and your family memories and your cultural values in this essay. I think for your revision you can work towards a more concise blending of these parts.
For one thing, I would shorten the introduction and avoid using the second person “you.” Instead, tell it from your point of view, “I.”
I would also recommend deleting the questions that you ask your reader. That is a technique in writing but one that I advise my students to avoid. Instead, work toward more natural ways to draw in your reader…through the specific details, the word choice, and the voice.
The organization/sequencing could be refined. For example, you say the first experience is your 7th birthday but then say that you’ve loved kare kare since you could chew…and also mention your 5th birthday. Perhaps just concentrate on one family gathering and details on the preparation of the food and then the role it plays in your memories and culture. This is fairly sophisticated organization, so let me know if you have questions on how to do it.
Shannel and Sharmaine, your instincts are correct in your commentary to Janelle. You are asking her to be more selective in her details. Read my comments above and see if you agree with them. They may help you the next time you need to comment on “selectivity of details” so that you can give more specific advice to your teammates.
mrs s