Thursday, August 5, 2010

Coming of Age

It's been a year, a full year since I arrived as a freshman at Moanalua. But yet, it seems as if it were just yesterday. I've grown mentally, emotionally and spiritually through the past challenges that I had to face. Whether I was ready to or not, I was beginning to mature. I realized that perseverence and motivational drive are important in achieving my goals.

Coming of age can happen at anytime, whether the person is 13 or 30. The individual's experience is just as different from others as their personality. For me, I began to "come of age" when I arrived in high school. I automatically knew that high school was a whole new world from what I was accustomed to at my old private school. Bigger buildings, bigger campus, and definately bigger population. To go from three hundred something people in the whole school to over two thousand was overwhelming. I felt I needed to buckle down and sort out my prioroties, try to figure out what's important and what can be dealt with later.

I'm still in the long process of maturing, I have a ways to go. I'm truly looking forward to the challenging and beneficial journey ahead of me. They say that when a person comes of age, they do change because they finally know what they want to get out of their lives. I believe in this completely, that one day I'll finally know how I want my future to turn out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janelle,
    Attractive revised header for your blog :) Be sure to re-organize the archive as well, to categorize freshman and sophomore years.
    Assessment: 3

    COA: you share a lot of ideas about how you've changed or are changing...what you need to do in the essay is to focus on one experience and to make it "come alive" for the reader, through specific, narrative detail.
    assessment: 3
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete